Employment Advantages & Our Benefits
There are many advantages of working for the Office of the Public Defender including the opportunity to work and learn under the guidance of well-respected, experienced criminal practitioners. In addition, working for the Office of the Public Defender carries with it some excellent benefits so prospective employees may monitor the Maricopa County Career Site for job announcements.
- 10 paid holidays per year
- 100% subsidized city bus fares
- 120.9 hours of paid Personal Leave annually (with increases based on length of service*)
- 40.3 hours of paid Family/Medical Leave annually (with increases based on length of service*)
- Automatic payroll deposits
- Basic life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance of 1x annual salary
- Continuing Legal Education (CLE) opportunities
- Credit Union Privileges
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Discount dental plan and vision insurance coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health insurance
- Mariflex reimbursement plans for medical and child care expenses
- Payroll savings plans
- Retirement program with contributions matched by the employer
- Short/long-term disability programs
- State Bar dues paid for attorneys
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program for Attorneys
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with the Office of the Public Defender. The advantages of working in the Office of the Public Defender include:
- Access to computerized research and motion/brief bank
- Comfortable office environment in close proximity to the courts
- Extensive training programs and experience
- Immediate and comprehensive courtroom/trial experience
- The opportunity to work and learn under the guidance of well-respected, experienced criminal practitioners
- Professional independence
- The support of:
- Law clerks
- Mitigation specialists
- Pretrial interviewers
- Variety of experiences
Job Announcements & How to Apply
Prospective employees may monitor the Maricopa County Employment webpage for job announcements. Applications are accepted only for active recruitments. Required application forms and supplemental information may be obtained online using the County's online recruitment tool, the Maricopa County Career Site.
Help and public use computers are also available during normal business hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday) at:
Maricopa County Human Resources
County Administration Building
301 West Jefferson, Suite 200
Phoenix, Arizona 85003
Teletypewriter (TT): 602-506-1908
Recorded Job Message: 602-506-3329
Maricopa County Human Resources' reasonable accommodations in the application and/or testing process to eligible individuals requesting assistance under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Please contact the Employment Services Division at 602-506-5570 or 602-506-1908 (TT) if you believe you may require such assistance.
Non-discrimination & Equal Opportunity
It is the policy of Maricopa County not to discriminate in employment or the provision of services.
Maricopa County is an equal opportunity employer.
This employer complies with ARS 23-211 et seq. and submits information on all new hires to electronically verify.