Featured Permitting Solutions
Every project is unique, but many fall into categories that enable us to streamline the permitting process, reduce timeframes or minimize requirements.Please read the various program outlines below to see if your project would benefit from one of them.
The Fast Track Program
The Fast Track option offers a more expedient review process for many simple projects which do not have any dominant zoning, environmental, drainage or floodplain concerns and can be processed the same day (while you wait or return to the office later the same day). If the project would have originally been Fast Track eligible, modifications may also be accepted with certain restrictions - please inquire with Customer Service staff. Please note that all upfront permitting fees are non-refundable.
Is my permit eligible for the Fast-Track option?
- Electrical Service Upgrade / Service from 201 amps up to 400 amps
- Patio Covers
- Attached Golf Cart Garage
- Attached Garage
- Attached Carport
- Covered Breezeway
- Propane or Water Tank 250 gallons or larger (above or underground)
- Fountain / Water Feature
- Mare Motel
- Storage Structure
- Ramada / Gazebo
- Sea Container
- Detached Garage
- Detached Shade Structure
- Enclose Carport / Convert to Garage
- Exterior Remodel
- New HVAC with Duct Work
Residential Pools, Spas, Fences:
- Custom, Standard Plan or Above Ground Pools and/or Spas (engineering can be accepted for these projects)
- Block, Rail, Wood, Wrought Iron Fencing
Why would my project NOT be eligible for the Fast-Track process?
- Engineered design and analysis is required – this does not apply to standard plan engineering
- or engineering related to pre-fabricated products (e.g. Alumawood covers, Metals USA units, etc.).
- Hillside property.
- Floodplain, floodway, or washes that may be impacted by the planned construction.
- Accessory or additions exceeding 1,000 sq. ft.
- Structures with walls over 10 ft. in height
- Involves electrical service greater than 400 amps.
- Increasing the capacity of the onsite wastewater/septic system (if applicable).
- Projects in which ownership or parcel changes are still in progress or cannot be readily verified.
- Installing a fence on a vacant lot that does not have an assigned address.
What are the minimum submittal plan requirements?
- 7 site plans and 3 sets of construction plans.
- If the project involves a fence, include 4 fence details.
Special Note for properties on Septic:
If the application involves increasing fixture count, usage, or capacity, the submittal must be routed to Environmental Services for a technical review and would not qualify for the Fast Track process.
Permit By Inspector Program
The Permit by Inspector Program (PBI)(PDF) allows customers to obtain plan review services and permit approval at the construction site.
- Residential remodels, carport enclosures & fire alterations
- Commercial tenant improvements
Residential: Interior Remodels, Carport Enclosures & Fire Alterations
- Conventionally framed wood or masonry structures using structural elements as specified in the International Residential Code
- Single-story structures
- Gable or flat roof systems
- Remodels to existing spaces that do not exceed 2000 square feet and in which structural components are not removed or altered
Commercial: Tenant Improvements
- Less than 3,000 square feet
- No increase in square footage
- Interior space only
- Contractor already selected
- Must be on sewer if any change to plumbing fixture count
- Less than 20 occupants
- No work on any structural member spanning more than 20 feet
- Projects that require review by other disciplines or departments (such as hillside, grading and drainage or floodplain)
- Structures that require an engineered design (lateral and/or vertical analysis)
- Structures with walls greater than 10 feet in height
- Projects including the installation or alteration of a 400 amp or greater electric service
- Projects on septic that involve an increase in plumbing fixture count
- Projects that involve additional square footage
- Projects that involve a change of occupancy, such as to a group home, or to allow a home-based business
- As-built construction with an open violation case
- Require any site or civil approval
- Be an adult use, restaurant, medical or dental office, beauty salon, hazardous use, dog grooming facility or veterinary office, or change of use/occupancy
- Include a paint, spray booth
- Involve any deferred submittals or be part of a larger project
- Include structural alterations
- Be an AFP (Annual Facilities Program) facility
Annual Facilities Permit
The Annual Facilities Permit (AFP) is an administrative system intended to simplify the permitting and inspection process for qualified facilities by allowing assigned inspectors, familiar with the construction history of the facilities, to review plans in the field. Eligible participating facilities are exempt from the requirement to obtain individual permits for the work regulated by this code when such work:
- Does not increase the floor area
- Does not constitute a change of use or occupancy classification
- Is performed on existing buildings, structures, and utilities associated with the qualified facility
An AFP may be renewed every 12 months with payment of the established renewal fee; additional hourly charges will be assessed for each work project. For more information, contact Building Plan Review staff via email or call 602-506-3301.
Note: This alternative permit process shall not exempt compliance with the technical requirements of this code, the technical codes, or with other County, State, or Federal laws, nor exempt work from inspection prior to concealment.
The Standard Plan process provides for unlimited permits based upon a particular construction plan for a one-time plan review fee. The plan, with limited options, may be used repeatedly during a three-year period. An approved standard plan may be used within the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County, as long as the plan complies with all Zoning, Drainage and Building Codes.
A standard plan approval may be adopted for any type of building and shall be prepared, signed and dated by a registered professional, including all sheets within the plans and calculations. The most commonly received applications are for single-family residences, pools, spas, and accessory buildings.
The Owner/Contractor of Record shall be licensed and registered with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors (AROC) and is the only one authorized to use the standard plan tracking number for a production permit.