Permit Actions and Activities
Learn more about permit actions, permit modifications, and research requests options for permits and parcels located within the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County.
There are several Permit Action Requests that may be submitted for an existing permit:
- Cancellation – A request to terminate a project and remit payment for any outstanding fees
- Extension – A request for one free extension of 180 days, if received within 180 days of the permit's expiration date.
- Refund – A request for a refund (excluding any plan review fees for work already completed) may be submitted, and if approved, a check or credit to the original account will be issued in 4 to 6 weeks.
- Renewal – A request to renew an expired permit (expired beyond 180 days and less than 365 days). Review the Expired Permits Information (PDF) to determine if your project may qualify for a renewal.
To request one of the above actions for an existing permit, please complete and print the Permit Action Request (PDF) form. If requesting a Renewal, check the Extension option and provide an explanation for the renewal request.
The completed form can be submitted by:
- Submit Online - save a copy and Submit an Online Inquiry (Select Building Plan Review)
- Fax – send a copy to 602-506-3282
- Mail or In Person – send or drop off the form to the Planning & Development Office
Once the completed form has been received, a Department response should be sent within 7 to 10 business days.
Self-Service Options (No Cost):
Staff-Supported Options (Fees Apply):
A Permit Modification is a change to a plan set in which the permit has already been issued or reissued. Modifications require another full review; therefore, additional fees for services from Planning and Development as well as any other reviewing departments will apply.
Please Note: Full sets of plans will need to be submitted with a permit modification since the previously approved plan will be superseded by the modification.
Applicants requesting a modification will be required to complete and sign the Modification Financial and Service Acknowledgement (PDF) when the modified plans are submitted.
The proposed changes will need to meet all ordinances, regulations, and codes to receive approval; approval of the modification will result in a reissued permit.
Modifications are to be submitted in the same format (paper or online) as the original permit submission
For modifications deemed as minor changes by the Building Official, a $30 administrative review fee will be assessed for each modification and payable upon reissuance of the permit.
Modifications that are not deemed as minor changes will be assessed the following modification review fees:
- A $100 fee is assessed for changes to the site plan.
- A $250 fee is assessed for changes to the building plans.
- Increased sq. footage or other components will be factored into the valuation calculation.
- If a drainage review is necessary, a $250 fee will be assessed.
- If drainage requires in-progress inspections, a fee of $150 per inspection will be assessed.
- While the modification is being reviewed, inspections on that project are suspended.
If repeated modifications are necessary, the Building Official may deem the continued changes as redesign and therefore, as major changes. Major changes will have the fees applied on each modified submittal.
Each modification submitted will be assessed the following modification review fees:
- A $250 fee is assessed by Zoning for each site plan review.
- An hourly building plan review rate will be assessed on each review of building plans.
- If classified as a minor accessory for a Drainage review, a $650 review fee will be assessed.
- If outside the scope of a minor accessory, Drainage will assess $2,000 plus $125 per acre with a maximum of $22,000.